Current news for SMEs
We help enterprises in the exceptional situation caused by the coronavirus
Finnvera takes a flexible approach towards all reorganisation needs for financing caused by the coronavirus situation. We have the capability to significantly increase our SME financing and help enterprises through the crisis. The company must have the potential to operate profitably in the long term.
Contact your bank in time
We recommend our customers to proceed as follows:
- Contact your bank as early as possible.
- Finnvera and banks are taking a flexible approach towards payment arrangements and such arrangements should be made with the bank as early as possible.
- Finnvera enables new working capital financing primarily by guaranteeing a loan granted by a bank. Negotiate with your bank. Your bank can apply for a guarantee from Finnvera on behalf of your company.
- A fee is charged for Finnvera's guarantee and it is not a direct subsidy. With fees Finnvera covers its share of future credit losses caused by guarantees. Guarantees up to EUR 1 million are mainly issued without collateral. The price is affected, for example, by the risk category based on the customer company's financial statements and credit period. Pricing must also take into account EU and state aid rules. Finnvera cannot compete with banks for the price of financing.
- If the bank financing is not possible, your company can also under certain conditions apply for a working capital loan for financing needs caused by the corona situation directly from Finnvera. Check the terms and conditions here
Finnvera’s solution for working capital needs
Finnvera’s Start Guarantee, SME Guarantee and Finnvera Guarantee can be used for working capital needs caused by the coronavirus. Your bank or another financier can apply the guarantees on behalf of your enterprise.
- The Start Guarantee is directed at companies which have been operating for a maximum of three years. Finnvera's guarantee coverage can be up to 80%.
- The SME Guarantee is directed at companies which have been in operation for more than three years. It can be used to cover a loan of maximum EUR 150,000.
- The Finnvera Guarantee can also be used for the increased working capital needs due to the coronavirus in cases where Finnvera’s Start Guarantee or SME Guarantee is not suitable in the company’s situation for example due to the amount of the loan needed. Finnvera has taken into operation a lightened procedure in granting Finnvera Guarantee (so called fast track procedure) for a EUR 150,000-1,000,000 corporate debt bond granted by a bank. Finnvera’s guarantee coverage has been raised to 80% and no collateral is required. The bank applies the Finnvera Guarantees from Finnvera on behalf of the company.
- Please note: From 11 September 2020, financiers can apply for a Finnvera guarantee on behalf of the company.
Finnvera's guarantee coverage
Finnvera's guarantee coverage will primarily be 80 per cent, but a guarantee of up to 90 per cent can be granted to guarantee loans granted by the bank, if the arrangement for SME financing absolutely requires it. Finnvera must provide information on all companies that have received a 90% guarantee to the EU Commission, which will publish the companies' information on its website.
In the SME Guarantee, Finnvera's guarantee coverage is still fixed at 80 per cent, and in the Start Guarantee at the most 80 per cent.
Working capital loan for the corona situation
Your company can also, under certain conditions, apply for a working capital loan directly from Finnvera, if the financing of the company otherwise cannot be arranged with the bank. The loan cannot be used to repay the financier's existing receivables. Your company must have at least one official financial statement available. The company's equity must not be negative in the last official financial statements and your company's credit information must not be in default. The company’s business must have been profitable before the corona crisis, and the company must have sufficient liquidity.
Finnvera has reduced and simplified the pricing
Finnvera has reduced and simplified the pricing of the guarantees used in financing working capital for the corona situation retroactively from the beginning of March 2020. The annual guarantee commission for the Start Guarantee for start-ups, the SME Guarantee for companies that have been active for more than 3 years and Finnvera Guarantee's fast track is a maximum of 1.75%. The service fee for the Start Guarantee and the SME Guarantee is 0.1% of the amount of the guarantee. For the fast track, the service fee remains unchanged at approximately EUR 400.
Finnvera cannot provide financing for building developers, the forestry businesses, arable farming or livestock farming. In addition we cannot finance financial activities, gambling or adult entertainment or societies and companies that do not fulfill the criteria of business activities and that do not seek business profit.
Note the following with regard to state aid
Finnvera does not grant direct subsidies or grants to companies, but Finnvera’s financing includes so-called imputed state aid, which can be seen in the price and/or terms and conditions of financing that are more favourable than for the market price level confirmed by the EU. If the price of Finnvera’s financing is lower than the EU’s market price, the price difference is calculated as imputed aid.
The primary form of state aid in Finnvera’s financing is de minimis aid. Finnvera cannot grant this as direct subsidies, but it is included in Finnvera’s financing as a more favourable price and/ or better terms. An enterprise can receive de minimis aid from different aid providers to the maximum amount of EUR 200,000 during a period of three years. If the enterprise is about to reach or has reached the maximum amount of de minimis aid or if the enterprise is an enterprise in difficulty according to the de minimis decree, aid might not be possible or aid may require a higher financing price level, or so-called pricing without including aid.
Alternatively, Finnvera can use the so-called corona aid as state aid in financing. Finnvera’s Corona Aid Scheme is based on the EU’s Temporary Framework for State aid. Aid may not be granted to enterprises that were in difficulties already on 31 December 2019, before the outbreak of the coronavirus epidemic. Finnvera is also under obligation to report to the EU, retrospectively, the name of the recipient of financing as well as information regarding Finnvera’s financing and aid included in it.
It is possible to use corona aid as state aid also in the so-called Finnvera Guarantee's fast track procedure. When granting a Finnvera Guarantee with a 90% guarantee rate, corona aid is always used as a form of state aid.
Do you need instalment-free months?
- Contact your bank. The bank submits all applications regarding guarantees directly to Finnvera on your behalf.
- If you have a loan granted by Finnvera directly, you can apply for a twelve-month instalment-free period using an electronic application in our Online Services.
- You will only pay the interest and expenses during the instalment-free period.
- We only charge a EUR 50 service fee for the change if your total liability for Finnvera is EUR 300,000 or less.
- If the total liability is more than EUR 300,000 the change is charged on a case-by-case basis. If you have applied for a state subsidy from other sources, legislation may require an increase in the price.
We strive to process the applications as quickly as possible, but please note that the service may be subject to high loads.
We wish that you use our Online Services at online.finnvera.fi. We encourage our customers to prepare realistic estimates of the revenue and expenses and to contact their bank in time if they need additional financing.
If you are unable to pay the invoice you have received
If you are unable to pay the invoice on the due date, please contact us as soon as possible. Contact us before the invoice is due through Online Service (Online Service -> Apply for changes to an existing loan) or send a message (Online Service -> Messages).
On 1 October 2019 Finnvera started using Intrum's services according to the contract between Finnvera plc and Intrum Oy. Intrum sends payment reminders and payment request for overdue invoices for Finnvera's domestic financing. If, despite payment reminders or a payment request, we do not receive payment for the overdue receivable or if no other arrangement is agreed for the payment of the overdue receivable, Intrum will initiate legal recovery on Finnvera's behalf. Intrum also offers a telephone service for overdue invoices to some of Finnvera's customers. Please check the contact information for the unit handling your case on your latest invoice. This unit might have changed since the due date.
If the payment is not in our account on the due date, we will charge post-maturity interest for the outstanding sum. A fee is also collected for sending payment reminders. The interest rate for overdue receivables is 16%. The first payment reminder will be sent 14 days after the due date. The collection fee for the payment reminder and notification letter to the guarantor is 7.44 euros / letter. You can find other costs in our service fee list.
If you have not received the invoice covered by the payment reminder, check that your address information is correct. Please notify Finnvera's customer service of any changes on the Online Service (Online Service -> Messages), using the contact form on our website or by e-mail puhelinpalvelu(at)finnvera.fi.
Export trade financing in the corona situation
Finnvera can grant new short-term guarantees for the marketable risk countries as a part of the measures due to the corona virus crisis until 31.12.2021. Private credit insurance companies are still the primary source of credit insurance for these countries, and Finnvera’s role is to complement the market.
Financing for large corporates in the corona situation
Finnvera can also guarantee financing for large corporates in the situation caused by the corona virus:
- Contact your financiers.
- The maximum guarantee can be up to 80% and the total liability EUR 100 million at the most. However, Finnvera cannot become the main financier.
- We handle large projects case-specifically.
Information about different organisations’ financial services
The Government has agreed on a comprehensive package to ease the economic pressure on businesses. The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, together with other organisations in the MEAE Group, monitor the effects of the coronavirus on business activities, employment and security of supply, and will take the necessary measures to alleviate negative impacts.
We want to take care of the safety of our customers, stakeholders and personnel and have therefore increased remote working at Finnvera.
Our customer service serves as usual in chat and by phone at the following numbers:
Financing applications can be made using our Online Service.
The Start Guarantee and the SME Guarantee are applied for through the bank. Companies should contact the bank directly; the bank will send the application to Finnvera.